Is it bad for a baby to swallow gum?

What happens if a baby swallows gum?

Chewing gum itself is not toxic to humans. If your child swallowed 1 or 2 pieces, give them a few sips of water and watch for vomiting, bowel habit changes, or abdominal pain and bloating. If they experience symptoms, call IPC at 1-800-222-1222.

Can swallowing gum hurt a child?

Children are more likely than adults to experience health complications as a result of swallowing gum. According to the Mayo Clinic, swallowing too much gum can cause a blockage in a child’s intestines, especially if they are already experiencing constipation.

What happens if 3 year old swallowed chewing gum?

A 1998 study published in the Pediatrics journal reported that in a few cases children developed “intestinal obstructions” after swallowing multiple pieces of gum. This can lead to severe pain, vomiting, and constipation. Besides, swallowing chewing gum can also increase the risk of choking.

How long does it take to digest gum if swallowed?

If you swallow gum, rest assured that it won’t take seven years to digest. Your body can safely pass gum within a few days. Even still, swallowing large amounts of gum isn’t recommended. Research shows that large amounts of gum can lead to intestinal blockages, especially in children.

Does swallowing chewing gum harm you?

Relax! Swallowing a gum does no harm to your body, say scientists. You know chewing gum is meant to be chewed, savoured and then spit. … You were told that if you swallow a gum, it will stay in your body for seven long years.

IT IS INTERESTING:  Question: What time should a 13 month old go to bed?

What age can a child have chewing gum?

“However, we recommend that children under the age of seven are not allowed to chew gum. “Making sure the gum is sugar-free is important because that means it will not cause tooth decay.”

Can toddlers choke on gum?

Gum and Hard Candy

Gum isn’t appropriate for young kids. Chewing gum – without swallowing it – takes refined mouth control that young kids don’t have, which can make it a choking hazard. Hard candies can also get stuck in a child’s airway.