Can Vicks harm pregnancy?
Vicks Products May Be Used as Directed During Pregnancy
Many standard prescription and over-the-counter cold and allergy medicines cross the placenta, making them unsafe for your baby. Fortunately, the active ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are both effective and safe when used as suggested.
Which dry cough syrup is safe in pregnancy?
For a dry cough, a cough suppressant such as pholcodine or dextromethorphan is considered safe during pregnancy.
What kind of cough syrup can you take when pregnant?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.
Can I take Vicks cold and flu while pregnant?
NyQuil, as you may know, is used for short-term relief of common cold and flu symptoms.
Safety of NyQuil ingredients in pregnancy.
|Forms that contain it||Liquid forms of: NyQuil Cold & Flu, NyQuil Severe Cold & Flu, NyQuil Cough|
|Symptom(s) treated||none (inactive ingredient)|
|Safe during pregnancy?||no**|
What helps a dry cough while pregnant?
- To help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water.
- Dextromethorphan syrup (e.g. Benylin DM) can be used to relieve a dry cough.
- Most cough drops (e.g. Halls) are safe in pregnancy.
- Consult your family doctor if: Your cough persists beyond seven (7) days. …
- Avoid preparations containing pseudoephedrine.
Is dry cough normal during pregnancy?
Coughing during pregnancy is normal and can occur at any time because of the hormonal changes happening inside the woman’s body, which tend to make her a bit more sensitive to allergies, the flu or other problems that can cause this type of symptom.
What can I do to stop coughing while pregnant?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
Is Robitussin DM safe for pregnancy?
Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
Is Robitussin Maximum Strength safe during pregnancy?
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant used in OTC medications such as Robitussin to reduce coughing. Cough suppressants can come in immediate-release and extended-release preparations. The maximum dose for pregnant women is 120 mg in 24 hours.
What cold medicine is safe during pregnancy?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)