Are fireplaces safe for newborns?
A fireplace and new baby are definitely a bad combination if not taken seriously and baby-proofing the area should be a top priority of safety if you’re expecting a new child. Babies are creatures of curiosity and burning flames can catch theirs eyes no different than a fly heading towards a trap.
How do I protect my child from a fireplace hearth?
The best way to protect your children from the fireplace is to block it off completely. Free standing fireplace screens are not helpful, as they can be easily tipped over by a child. The best gates are large enough to cover the entire area of the fireplace and anchored into the wall to provide sturdy protection.
How do you make a fireplace safe?
5 Easy Steps to Make Sure Your Fireplace Is Safe
- #1 Examine the Firebox. Look for any cracks, gaps, or signs of wear in the lining of the firebox (the interior of the fireplace). …
- #2 Look for Telltale Smoke Stains. …
- #3 Make Sure Your Grate Is the Right Size. …
- #4 Check the Chimney. …
- #5 Double-Check Your Fire Extinguisher.
Can fireplace smoke harm a baby?
Wood smoke pollution has been shown to raise the risk of bronchiolitis, a respiratory disorder that is a leading cause of hospitalization in infants, as well as rates of hospitalization for childhood pneumonia and bronchitis.
Is smoke from fireplace bad for baby?
Breathing smoke from wildfires or other sources such as campfires, bonfires, grills, or fireplaces can be harmful to you and your baby during pregnancy. Smoke from fire contains gases such as carbon monoxide and small particles that can get into your lungs and bloodstream.
How do you secure a brick fireplace screen?
If and when you do want to secure the screen, find plastic anchors that will fit into the mortar areas, then secure w screw & wire as noted. You can paint the wire the color of the screen if needed.
What is a fireplace fender used for?
Fireplace fenders are intended to prevent ash from entering the room from the fireplace, for example due to drafts or someone walking by. They also have significant decorative value.
How do I make sure my gas fireplace is safe?
Gas Fireplaces Safety Precautions
- Clean and adjust the logs and accessories like the glowing “embers” so they look their best.
- Clean the fan and air circulation passages.
- Clean the glass.
- Check the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector.
- Make sure vents are unobstructed.
How do I know if my chimney is safe to use?
How to Make Sure Your Fireplace & Chimney Are Safe
- There’s no bird nest or debris buildup on the cap.
- There are no tree limbs above or near the chimney.
- The mortar and bricks on the chimney aren’t crumbling or missing.
- The chimney rises at least 2 feet above where it exits the roof.