Are cough lozenges safe during pregnancy?
Throat lozenges containing local anaesthetic and antibacterial agents may be used in pregnancy. Avoid excessive use as it may cause unwanted side effects such as diarrhoea. Gargling salt water or drinking lemon and honey products may also help to ease a sore throat.
What throat lozenges are safe while pregnant?
- Ideally, to soothe a sore throat, we recommend gargling with salt water, or sipping lemon juice with honey.
- Short term use of Betadine Gargle is generally considered safe in pregnancy.
- Throat lozenges, such as Strepsils, are safe to use in pregnancy.
What is safe to take for cough while pregnant?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.
Can I take menthol lozenges while pregnant?
That said, there have not been any reports of negative effects on a pregnancy due to menthol use. To be safe, you should talk to your doctor before taking menthol cough drops during pregnancy.
Is Strepsils lozenges safe in pregnancy?
This medicine is generally considered safe during pregnancy if taken as directed. During pregnancy, you should discuss your medicine use with your doctor or pharmacist.
What can I take while pregnant for a sore throat?
Pregnant women can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for a sore throat with a limit of 3,000 mg in 24 hours. An antihistamine may help if the sore throat is due to postnasal drip because it can dry up those secretions. Sprays or lozenges that contain benzocaine, a local anesthetic, can help numb the throat.
Can coughing while pregnant hurt the baby?
Does coughing during pregnancy harm the baby? Coughing during pregnancy doesn’t harm the baby, as it isn’t a dangerous symptom and the baby doesn’t feel it.
Is sore throat during pregnancy normal?
Your immune system lowers slightly during pregnancy so your body won’t reject your developing baby. Not all sore throats are due to infection, however. For example, heartburn, a common pregnancy symptom, can also give you a sore throat. Pregnant women also often become congested, which can lead to a sore throat.
How do you get rid of a dry cough when pregnant?
What Can I Take for a Cough While Pregnant?
- The use of humidifiers in the house can soothe the dry throat and relieve throat irritation.
- Drinking hot tea with honey, having hot soups or broths, and sipping warm water with a pinch of turmeric may help relieve cough and chest congestion in many women.
Can I take Robitussin DM while pregnant?
Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.