What cleaning chemicals should I avoid while pregnant?
Cleaning and Pregnancy: Recommendations
- Glycol ethers. These are toxic substances found in household cleaning products like oven cleaners and have been associated with miscarriage, decreased male fertility, and birth defects. …
- Phthalates. …
- Avoid spray and aerosol cleaners when possible. …
- Avoid air fresheners.
What chemicals can cause a miscarriage?
Chemical Agents Associated With Miscarriage
- Heavy metals (industrial workers, dental assistants)
- Organic solvents (laboratory, industrial, and dry cleaning workers)
- Tetrachloroethylene (dry cleaning workers)
- Glycol ethers (semiconductor employees)
- 2-Bromopropane (electronics industry)
What are three common chemicals a woman should avoid during pregnancy?
Following is a list of chemicals to avoid during pregnancy.
- Pet medications and waste. Avoid handling flea and tick medication and other pet chemicals during pregnancy. …
- Smoking and vaping. Don’t allow either in your home or vehicle. …
- Lead. …
- Pesticides. …
- Cleaning products. …
What ingredients are not safe during pregnancy?
Beauty Products and Skincare Ingredients to Avoid While Pregnant
- Retin-A, Retinol and Retinyl Palmitate. These vitamin A derivatives and others can lead to dangerous birth defects. …
- Tazorac and Accutane. …
- Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic acids. …
- Essential Oils. …
- Hydroquinone. …
- Aluminum chloride. …
- Formaldehyde. …
- Chemical Sunscreens.
What cleaning products are safe while pregnant?
The Best Home Cleaning Products to Use During Pregnancy
- Best Dishwasher Detergent : Seventh Generation Fragrance Free Dishwasher Detergent Packs.
- Best Toilet Bowl Cleaner : GO by Greenshield Organic Toilet Bowl Cleaner.
- Best Wood Cleaner : Truce Wood Cleaner.
- Best Cleaning Wipes : Babyganics All Purpose Surface Wipes.
Is it okay to use cleaning products while pregnant?
On the whole, it’s safe to use cleaning products during pregnancy, as long as you take a few precautions. There isn’t a great deal known about the effects of commonly used cleaning products, so it’s best to take extra care when cleaning during pregnancy.
Can using bleach cause a Miscarriage?
Bleach, oven cleaners, and other cleaning agents can harm an unborn baby. You should limit your use of these chemicals and take protective measures when you use them. Until your baby is born, you might want to consider having someone else takeover any house cleaning that requires toxic substances.
Can breathing in chemicals cause Miscarriage?
If you inhale (breathe in) solvents, you risk liver, kidney and brain damage and even death. During pregnancy, exposure to (coming in contact with) solvents, especially if you work with them, may cause problems for you and your baby, including: Miscarriage.
What drinks can cause Miscarriage?
Caffeine can cause miscarriage
Be it in the form of tea, coffee or chocolate, caffeine is a miscarriage causing food. Caffeine affects sperm life. A male partner’s caffeine consumption is strongly associated with pregnancy loss in females.
What is toxic to a fetus?
Studies have shown that virtually all pregnant women in the U.S. have measurable levels of several toxins in their bodies that pose real threats to the development of the fetus. These dangerous chemicals include phthalates, bisphenol-A (BPA) and flame retardants.
What can be harmful to early pregnancy?
During your pregnancy, you should avoid: Raw meat and shellfish: Uncooked seafood (we’re looking at you, sushi), including oysters, mussels, and clams. Also avoid rare or undercooked beef and poultry. These can be contaminated with toxoplasmosis or salmonella.
What is a toxic pregnancy?
Preeclampsia, formerly called toxemia, is when pregnant women have high blood pressure, protein in their urine, and swelling in their legs, feet, and hands. It can range from mild to severe. It usually happens late in pregnancy, though it can come earlier or just after delivery.