What happens when a child swallows gum?

What happens if 3 year old swallowed chewing gum?

A 1998 study published in the Pediatrics journal reported that in a few cases children developed “intestinal obstructions” after swallowing multiple pieces of gum. This can lead to severe pain, vomiting, and constipation. Besides, swallowing chewing gum can also increase the risk of choking.

How long does it take to digest a swallowed piece of gum?

If you swallow gum, rest assured that it won’t take seven years to digest. Your body can safely pass gum within a few days. Even still, swallowing large amounts of gum isn’t recommended. Research shows that large amounts of gum can lead to intestinal blockages, especially in children.

What happens if you mistakenly swallow gum?

If you swallow a piece of gum, there’s probably no reason to see a doctor. It should pass normally through your digestive tract. If you swallow a large amount of gum or if you swallow gum with other indigestible objects, that might cause a blockage. This could require surgery to remove it from your digestive tract.

Is it bad if a toddler swallowed gum?

Although chewing gum is designed to be chewed and not swallowed, it generally isn’t harmful if swallowed. … If you swallow gum, it’s true that your body can’t digest it. But the gum doesn’t stay in your stomach. It moves relatively intact through your digestive system and is excreted in your stool.

IT IS INTERESTING:  How do I introduce food to my baby?

Is it OK if my toddler swallowed gum?

Little kids are most likely to be affected because they might not understand that gum is chewed, not swallowed. But apart from these strange scenarios, swallowing an occasional piece of gum is harmless.