What should I do if my child swallowed chewing gum?

What happens if 3 year old swallowed chewing gum?

A 1998 study published in the Pediatrics journal reported that in a few cases children developed “intestinal obstructions” after swallowing multiple pieces of gum. This can lead to severe pain, vomiting, and constipation. Besides, swallowing chewing gum can also increase the risk of choking.

How long does it take to digest chewing gum if swallowed?

If you swallow gum, rest assured that it won’t take seven years to digest. Your body can safely pass gum within a few days. Even still, swallowing large amounts of gum isn’t recommended. Research shows that large amounts of gum can lead to intestinal blockages, especially in children.

Is it bad if a toddler swallowed gum?

Although chewing gum is designed to be chewed and not swallowed, it generally isn’t harmful if swallowed. … If you swallow gum, it’s true that your body can’t digest it. But the gum doesn’t stay in your stomach. It moves relatively intact through your digestive system and is excreted in your stool.

Is it OK if my toddler swallowed gum?

Little kids are most likely to be affected because they might not understand that gum is chewed, not swallowed. But apart from these strange scenarios, swallowing an occasional piece of gum is harmless.

IT IS INTERESTING:  Do babies laugh when they are scared?

Does swallowing chewing gum harm you?

Relax! Swallowing a gum does no harm to your body, say scientists. You know chewing gum is meant to be chewed, savoured and then spit. … You were told that if you swallow a gum, it will stay in your body for seven long years.

What age can a child have chewing gum?

“However, we recommend that children under the age of seven are not allowed to chew gum. “Making sure the gum is sugar-free is important because that means it will not cause tooth decay.”