Your question: Is it OK if my child swallowed gum?

What happens if my child swallowed chewing gum?

Chewing gum itself is not toxic to humans. If your child swallowed 1 or 2 pieces, give them a few sips of water and watch for vomiting, bowel habit changes, or abdominal pain and bloating. If they experience symptoms, call IPC at 1-800-222-1222.

What happens if 3 year old swallowed chewing gum?

A 1998 study published in the Pediatrics journal reported that in a few cases children developed “intestinal obstructions” after swallowing multiple pieces of gum. This can lead to severe pain, vomiting, and constipation. Besides, swallowing chewing gum can also increase the risk of choking.

Is gum harmful for kids?

Chewing gum in moderation

Just like everything else, letting your child chew gum is OK in moderation. There are risks to excessive gum chewing and swallowing, including: Cavities. Digestive tract issues causing diarrhea and/or abdominal pain.

How long does it take to digest gum if swallowed?

If you swallow gum, rest assured that it won’t take seven years to digest. Your body can safely pass gum within a few days. Even still, swallowing large amounts of gum isn’t recommended. Research shows that large amounts of gum can lead to intestinal blockages, especially in children.

IT IS INTERESTING:  You asked: How long does it take for a newborn's cord to fall off?